Advertisements

August Movie Preview

Many movies are coming out in August. Here is the run down.

Advertisements

Brennan Dubé | @Brennan_Dube71R

August 3

Christopher Robin: Disney’s ‘Winnie the Pooh’ returns in this live-action film starring Ewan McGregor who plays a grown-up Christopher Robin that returns to the ‘Hundred Acre Wood’ to recapture his childhood and meet up with the original group of woodland creatures he grew so close to in his childhood. The movie should be a solid hit at the box office and if it possesses the Disney magic then it will surely be a sensation.

The Spy Who Dumped Me: This comedic action flick stars Mila Kunis and Kate McKinnon. This movie should appeal to millennial or even adult audiences as it does have the R rating (14A depending on where you may live).

The Darkest Minds: This film is brought to you by the makers of the hit Netflix show, ‘Stranger Things’ and if it can capture that audience it may be able to muster up a decent amount of money at the box office. The tween sci-fi feature follows a premise that states 98% of children have died on earth and the remaining 2% have garnered superhuman abilities. In spite of the neat premise, due to its extremely lackluster marketing and poor early reviews, the film is expected to have an insanely difficult time making a profit off of its $34 million dollar budget.

August 10

The Meg: ‘The Meg’ is probably going to be one of the last major summer blockbusters of 2018. This film features a prehistoric 70-foot shark, the Megalodon. A crew led by Jason Statham will attempt to take down this massive shark as it ravages the seas. Safe to say this film will be a wildcard at the box office.

Slender Man: This film will follow the story of teenage girls who attempt the famous ‘Slender Man’ ritual in an attempt to debunk the legend, following this they soon grow to fear that the legend is true when one of them goes missing. This horror/thriller should be a solid hit at the box office especially with the ‘Slender Man’ title attached.

BlacKkKlansman: This Spike Lee film will tell the true story of a black cop that worked undercover and in partnership with a white officer to undermine and take down a local Ku Klux Klan group in the area. The film has generated rather positive reviews from critics.

August 15

Crazy Rich Asians: Based on the book of the same title, ‘Crazy Rich Asians’ is a drama/comedy film that will hope to tap into the box office and generate a good revenue in August. The film’s director has stated this film is “more than a movie” and it is more of a “movement.” Aside from the laughs it hopes to instill, ‘Crazy Rich Asians’ hopes to be a strong study of culture and love.

August 17

Alpha: ‘Alpha’ is a historical adventure/drama that will follow the story of a lost boy who embarks on a journey home all while being accompanied by a wolf as his best friend. This film hopes to tell the tale of the first bond between man and canine. It is live action.

Mile 22: ‘Mile 22’ stars Mark Wahlberg and will feature a cast to the likes of John Malkovich, Lauren Cohan and yes, Ronda Rousey. This action/thriller will look to tap into audience that are predominant fans of intense, action-packed popcorn flicks. On a budget of $35 million, ‘Mile 22’ should do well at the box office.

August 24

The Happytime Murders: This film stars Melissa McCarthy and takes place in a world where puppets exist and are inferior to humans. This film has mustered up some controversy including allegations from Sesame Street that using a childs program with an adult comedy would smear the reputation.

Searching: ‘Searching’ is an intense, psychological thriller film that has received great reviews from critics. Originally slated for an early August release, ‘Searching’ was bumped to late August to avoid high competition at the box office. The film is told almost entirely from a computer screen and will follow a father who tries to uncover clues about his missing daughter by going through her history and contacting her friends.

August 31

Kin: ‘Kin’ is another film that is produced by the same people that produced ‘Stranger Things.’ This film should have more success than ‘The Darkest Minds’ as it features a more notable cast and it has been propped up by more marketing and a larger budget. It is a sci-fi/action film.

Destination Wedding: Two friends are invited to a mutual friends’ wedding. While at the wedding these two become close and blow off steam about each other and their friends. This romantic comedy stars Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder and will round out the August movie season.


To support 71 Republic, please donate to our Patreon, which you can find here.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: